Sunday 13 August 2017

The Real Stuff

Having got all the practical and physical details out of the way, I thought I would write something about the 'real stuff'. Most people ask us, "How are you doing?" It's a fair enough question, but not that easy a one to answer.

I guess the bottom line is we are doing OK. We have questions, thought processes and emotions as you might expect, but none of them are taking us beyond breaking point.

In the past, when other people have faced hard situations a bit like this I have always wondered, 'How do they cope? I have been a believer in the fact that God gives you the resources you need to deal with any situation you face (but only when you have to face them - which is why anxiety is a bit of a killer, as you are anticipating hard situations without the resources to face them). As I said to my brother, I'm about to find out whether it's true!

And to be honest, it does seem to be. I was thinking this morning that, although this may be a hard road we have suddenly found ourselves on, we can only face it just like any other road - one foot in front of the other.

We are taking one day at a time, partly because that is all we know about - but I do think that is probably how God wants us to live all the time anyway. My children when they were young always asked, "What are we doing today, Mummy?" God says we are to live like little children, and I think that is what he meant (amongst other things). If there is one thing I have learnt in the last couple of years it is, "Don't worry about tomorrow". Although I have to confess occasionally that is only a theoretical lesson learned!

[WARNING: those allergic to possible heresy may wish to avert their gaze at this point]

The situation has also raised questions about prayer, and specifically whether there is any point to it. I completely believe in the importance and value of prayer in the sense of 'keeping talking to God', but I guess my questions are about 'supplicatory prayer'. For me my thought process goes something like this:

a) God loves me (and Joshua, and everyone) more than I can possibly conceive. (I wrote recently that if we could comprehend even a pin prick of how much God loves us, we would be overwhelmed)
b) God knows everything that was, is and is to come, he is the 'ultimate intelligence.
c) God works all  things together for the good of those who love Him

So why ask God to do particular or specific things? If these things are all true (and I believe they are), then surely praying to Him to do a particular thing is merely interfering or teaching your grandmother to suck eggs? God knows best, He loves us, and He wants the best for us - so surely His ideas about what is the best course of action are the best anyway? Surely the only prayer to pray is, "Thy will be done"?

Having said that, it does say that 'the prayer of a righteous man availeth much', so there must be something to it 👦

So, if I was wearing my normal spiritual hat, without the above thought processes, and for those who have a better understanding than me about these things, please pray:

* that Joshua continues to recover from the surgery as well as he has been
* that he is sufficiently recovered so that he can come from for a day/night before we have to travel down to Brisbane
* that the timing of further treatment is such that we are able to be back in Cairns for the second half of September when my entire immediate family is coming to visit
* for the best possible future diagnoses and that the treatment generally is bearable for Joshua
* for all the logistics and arrangements for going to Brisbane/being in Brisbane/schooling, etc.

Personally, I am praying these following things, and you're welcome to join me:

* that this experience would be something that builds huge amounts of strength and character in Joshua, and is the beginning of a beautifully close relationship between him and God
* that Libby and I are able to learn positive things throughout the process as well, and move closer to Him despite any questions we have
* that we would remain strong and get stronger as a family unit throughout this situation

I guess the difference is that I am praying more for what God can do in us, rather than what we think He should do for us.

We love Joshua, and our Daddy loves us all 👦


(By the way, this is mostly a rhetorical 'blowing off  steam' post - so no need to let me know the answers 👦)

1 comment:

  1. Sending love and hugs as you head to Brisbane. I love your prayer "points" so much.

    ReplyDelete