Saturday 18 August 2018

Lesson 3

Lesson 3: “I can’t do life on my own – and that’s OK; I was never meant to”

I’m guessing that this lesson is one that applies more to those of us raised in the West – where self-reliance, independence and ‘standing on your own two feet’ are considered virtues.

When this kind of perspective is the backdrop to your life, it can be quite humbling to be brought down to a place where you actually feel like day to day living is beyond your capabilities. This was where I got to – and it was hard. But in the struggle was a lesson that makes life better: I was never meant to ‘go it alone’. God built us to be dependent on Him, and in relationship with other people. Being brought low just enabled me to see the truth that very little is in my sphere of control, but nothing is outside of God’s.

As Jesus taught us, God wants us to relate to Him like little children. Those of you who have children will know that ‘littlies’ (as they call them here in Australia) are 100% dependent on you as their parents. They don’t worry about what’s going to happen tomorrow, or where their next meal is coming from. They ‘know’ that their parents have everything under control.

How freeing is it to have that kind of relationship with God? To know that everything is under His control – that you don’t need to worry about anything?


I’m not saying it’s easy – but then nothing of value ever is…

No comments:

Post a Comment