Thursday 28 September 2017

Suffering - some thoughts

People sometimes ask questions like, "How can you believe in God when there is so much suffering in the world?" or "Why would a God of love allow so much suffering?" For those of us who are Christians, how do we reconcile what we know about God (that he is good, that he is good all the time, that he is all powerful and that he loves us) with the fact that he allows us and people around us to suffer, sometimes in unimaginable ways?

There are no easy answers to this. I have been listening to Jeff Vines this week and he had some good points, many of which I have used here.

For the Christian, the bottom line is this: the things I do not understand about God and life, do not change the things I do. There is a God and I know he loves me because he gave his son to die for me, and that never changes. The things I do know about God (and the God I know) help me to cope with the things I don't understand, because I trust that he has some good answers, that maybe I will understand someday. 

For the non-Christian, I think the issue is in some ways more complicated and even more disturbing. If you don’t believe in God in the first place, you can’t blame him for things that happen. If God is not real you shouldn’t be upset when bad things happen. If God is not real, life is not sacred and we are nothing but a bunch of chemicals here by accident. When someone dies or someone suffers you should understand, in the words of Tennyson, that, ‘Evolution is red in tooth and claw’. It’s all just dumb blind luck. In fact it’s the survival of the fittest. If someone suffers and dies it’s because they’re not fit, so they’re not surviving. It’s the gene pool strengthening, shedding the weak. If we are indeed the random product of evolution then aggression and domination are good things.

From the Christian point of view, all life is sacred and has value. However, that can only exist in a created scenario where God exists. The point is, you have to resolve the issue of pain and suffering in the context of God. You can’t resolve it outside of God because outside of God you can’t even ask the question.

So how do we resolve it?

In lots of ways, I really don't know. However, although easier said than done on some days, I think it helps having an eternal perspective. Again, Jeff has some good points.

=> There may be a finality to existence here but not to existence itself. The life that is lost is not lost in the hands of the one who made it. God who gave life the first time is able to give life the second time and the second life is far greater that the first life

=> There is a glimpse of God you get in pain that you never get in pleasure

=> What God accomplishes in you in the tragedy is as important as the tragedy itself

=> Somehow deep down inside you know that God has got this

=> On the cross, it appeared that evil was winning and God had lost control. When all seems lost, all is won

=> God decides what to allow into your life and what to prevent. It is your job to receive it, embrace it and allow God to do his work

=> The ocean is the world, the boat is your life, the wind is the spirit of God. In a sail boat you have a role, but it is God who sends the wind. When the wind blows you don’t know where it’s going to blow you. Are we brave enough to allow God to take us into waters, even when they are troubled?


Another nice song. (This is the one that Bethany sang at my dad's funeral).


Captain
Words and Music by Benjamin Hastings & Seth Simmons

Verse 1
Through waters uncharted my soul will embark

I’ll follow Your voice straight into the dark
And if from the course You intend I depart
Speak to the sails of my wandering heart


Chorus

Like the wind You’ll guide
Clear the skies before me
And I’ll glide this open sea
Like the stars Your Word
Will align my voyage
And remind me where I’ve been
And where I am going


Verse 2

Lost in the shallows amidst fear and fog
Your truth is the compass that points me back north
Jesus, my Captain, my soul’s trusted Lord
All my allegiance is rightfully Yours



Feel free to comment, whatever your views. 

1 comment: